JCARA, Inc. Club Minutes – April, 2015
Meeting called to order by President Charlie, N2PKW
Prayer by Chaplain Chuck, N9RRI
Pledge of Allegiance led by Charlie, N2PKW
Richard, AF5AQ gave a presentation on the Anderson Powerpole Connectors, which are color-coded fail safe devices adopted by the Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) for their standardized power plugs. This standard enables swift exchanging of equipment in an emergency. Consistency of color coding was stressed. He provided a handout that was very self explanatory.
All Officers present
Lee Johnston, N5JUM
Secretarial Report by Valerie, N9RQX;
Motion to Accept by Chuck, N9RRI; Seconded by Larry, K5LGP; Motion Carried.
Treasurer’s Report by Charlie, AG5CC;
Motion to Accept by Chris, K5MOZ; Seconded by Nick, K5BQJ; Motion Carried.
1. Repeater Committee: Nick, K5BQJ was delighted to report that the combined antenna has been mounted on the crane at Ingalls Shipbuilding. The cable is in the process of being installed and he will prepare both repeaters for installation. A big “Thank you!” to Kurt, K5KDO and Donnie, KF5TCW for all they have done to bring this together.
2. Report on Trailers: Larry, K5LGP says that one trailer is almost completed and in under budget. (Treasurer Charlie, AG5CC commended Larry and the team for wise spending.) Larry praised his team for innovation.
3. Car Show: Richard, AF5AQ showed off the almost completed trailer as our part of Jackson County’s First Responder Team. We had HF and two Meter radios in operation, affording visitors a look into what Amateur Radio is all about. We had some Message Traffic to handle. We all had a good time and we have been invited back next year. Larry, K5LGP explained the antennas that were used.
4. Club Picnic: Rod, KC5LCW reiterated the location, Mallette Sports Complex, and time, 10 AM to 4 PM. He also asked those who were bringing something to let him know what they were bringing. There is a playground for kids. Techniques for “Fox Hunting” will be explored.
5. Don, KA5DON has some crystal controlled 40 Meter QRP transceivers that he has donated to the Club for raffle prizes. This is for CW.
6. VE Activity: No activity.
7. Hamfest: Chris, K5MOZ says there is nothing new.
Charlie, N2PKW is designing a lecture for next month’s program slot. The differences between older receivers versus modern, American versus Japanese, IF offsets will be discussed.
Next Meeting will be May 26, 2015.
1. Classes: Charlie, N2PKW is looking to set up summer classes at the Gautier Community College. Two Technicians are needing to be tested for General in June and two more are interested in taking Technician class.
2. June 06, American Legion Post 1992 of Gautier is commemorating D Day by having a Poker Run in which we will assist them at five locations, relaying the motorcycle riders’ point to point progress in real time. Each location they will pass is named after a beachhead at which our troops landed. They wanted five Hams with radios, they got six.
President Charlie called for a Motion to Adjourn; Richard, AF5AQ accepted the Motion; Seconded by Chris, K5MOZ; Motion Carried; Meeting Adjourned.
Respectfully Submitted by