JCARA, Inc. Club Minutes – August, 2014
Meeting called to Order by Vice President Marilyn, AF5DP
Prayer by Chaplain Chuck, N9RRI
Pledge of Allegiance led by Marilyn
Don, KA5DON gave a presentation on “Message Trafficking” that was very concise and informative. He gave the early history of ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) and went into detail about filling out the message form. He had received a message earlier and he passed it to the recipient via telephone during his presentation. He said, “It’s all about you receiving a message and knowing what to do with it.” Many routine messages are for practice. “What does practice make? It makes ’em predictable.”
Meeting turned over to President Charlie, N2PKW, who just arrived.
Officers Absent: Past President Kurt, K5KDO
Visitors and New Members:
Steve, KB5YPJ, Derick, KF5EAL, Gerrit, K5GFE
Secretary Report by Val, N9RQX:
Motion to Accept by Nick, K5BQJ; Seconded by Chuck, N9RRI; Motion Carried.
Treasurer’s Report by Charlie, AG5CC:
Motion to Accept by Chuck, N9RRI; Seconded by Nick, K5BQJ; Motion Carried.
1. Repeater Committee: Nick, K5BQJ reported no reply from Ingalls Shipbuilding as yet on the 440 Repeater installation proposal. He has yet to contact the Jackson County Water District concerning the N5OS Repeater. The hot weather has been a factor.
2. Hamfest: Chris, K5MOZ reported that some tables have been reserved and confirmed but many tables are open. Hamfest Committee will meet after the Club Meeting.
3. Christmas Party: December 09th at the Azteca Mexican Restaurant in Gautier. Suggested time will be around 6:00 P. M.
Charlie, N2PKW has a VE Test Session at M.G.C.C.C. Friday, August 29th
Next Club Meeting will be September 30th.
1. Boy Scouts Merit Badge Radio Jamboree held October 24th to 26th and there will be a Special Event Net. Keep checking our Web Site to keep updated on this Event.
2. Scholarship recipient Levi Jones, K5FFA wrote a very nice Thank You letter, which was read by Charlie, N2PKW. It’s great to hear about young people desiring to work with their communities.
3. A Club Notebook Starter Kit was recommended by Chris, K5MOZ and Charlie, N2PKW for new members. This invited a discussion and was approved by Charlie, AG5CC. Charlie, N2PKW will put together three folders for the Members to peruse.
4. Rod, KC5LCW reminded everyone concerning the Officer Nominations. He said that it’s getting that time of year.
Van, WB5LAI brought up a good point about checking your insurance to make sure, if you do take a lightning hit, that you are covered.
President Charlie, N2PKW called for a Motion to Adjourn Meeting. Rod, KC5LCW made the Motion; Seconded by Nick, K5BQJ; Motion Carried; Meeting Adjourned.
Respectfully Submitted by
JCARA, Inc. Club Secretary