JCARA, Inc. Club Minutes – June 30, 2015
Meeting Called to Order by President Charlie, N2PKW
Prayer led by Chaplain Chuck, N9RRI
Pledge of Allegiance led by Charlie, N2PKW
Program: Using pictures, Charlie, N2PKW described and displayed the Field Day setup at the Jackson County E. O. C. Safe House, located in Vancleave. Our numbers were up from last year but propagation was poor, as was confirmed from contesting stations all across the Country. Charlie was glad to report that many of our Club’s inexperienced Hams were able to get on the air and make contacts! Charlie summed it up as a good Field Day and thanked everyone who took part. Richard, AF5AQ stressed the point that we need to make sure we have enough coax to ensure proper distance between antennas to reduce interference.
Officers Absent: Past President Kurt, K5KDO
Sick Call: S. K. Greg, KD5IJE’s Family; Bob, KF5LHX – stroke; Larry, K5LGP – sick
Secretarial Report by Valerie, N9RQX: Motion to Accept by Chuck, N9RRI; Seconded by Nick, K5BQJ; Motion Carried.
Treasury Report by Charlie, AG5CC: Motion to Accept by Kenyon, WO5LFY; Seconded by Hank, AE5WU; Motion Carried.
1. ARES Business: Chris, K5MOZ read an email from Rez Johnson, K1REZ, assistant ARES coordinator for the State of MS. Saturday, August 8th is the date set for the Simulated Emergency Test. This test is to find out the weaknesses of our ARES system before an actual emergency occurs.
2. Repeater Committee: Nick, K5BQJ had nothing new.
3. ARRL Scholarship Fund: Abbigail A. Wilson, KF5BEW of Lafayette, LA. is the recipient for the year 2015. Charlie, N2PKW called for a Motion to accept a $50.00 Restaurant Gift card, from the floor. Motion to Accept by Richard, AF5AQ; Seconded by Don, KA5DON; Discussion: Chris, K5MOZ suggested a prepaid Visa card; Motion carried. Lafayette, LA is too far to take her out to dinner, so this Visa card will be mailed to Abbigail, on behalf of the JCARA.
4. VE Activity: This week, Adam Peoples, KG5BYO, Robert Warner, KK4DNW and several others upgraded to General. (A great big, “ATTA BOY!” from your Secretary.)
5. Hamfest: Chris, K5MOZ confirmed JMR Sales again this year.
6. American Legion Poker Run: Don, KA5DON said the American Legion gave the 10 Club Members who participated with their radios, a big “HOORAH” and would like to work with us on more activities.
Next Meeting: July 28,2015 at the St. Martin Community Center.
Nick, K5BQJ advised the Members to monitor the Club Repeater to let him know if there is QRM.
1. Classes: Several are signing up for the Technician Class to be held at the M.G.C.C.C. in Gautier and attend a Club Meeting as part of the Course, starting in mid July.
2. Program for next Month: Chris, K5MOZ will present the program we will use for the ARES Simulated Emergency Test, scheduled for August 8th. For the August program, Charlie, N2PKW will give Part 2 of his “Radio Architecture” lecture.
President Charlie, N2PKW called for a Motion to Adjourn; Motion Accepted by Chris, K5MOZ; Seconded by Nick, K5BQJ; Motion Carried, Meeting Adjourned.
Respectfully Submitted by