JCARA, Inc. Minutes – October, 2013
Call to Order by President Kurt, K5KDO.
Prayer led by Chaplain Chuck, N9RRI.
Pledge of Allegiance led by Kurt, K5KDO.
Past and Current Issues:
1. Round Island Lighthouse Event presented by Dan, AE5JG; we had a good turnout with 850 contacts, USB, LSB, CW and PSK 31. The rainy weather did not dampen spirits! Several visitors came by and some showed interest in Ham radio! We had great publicity and we all worked together like a big happy family. A great weekend! There were many pictures taken by Charlie, AG5CC, and they were shown during the Meeting. Dan showed an example of a QSL Card, describing how our Round Island QSL Card would look, showing where various pictures would be placed.
2. Hamfest information presented by Dan, AE5JG; all tables sold! Volunteers are all lined up. Things are looking good, toward having a record Fest!
3. Valerie, N9RQX, has CW Instructional Sets – $3.00 a set.
4. Our Club Secretary, Valerie, N9RQX, requested a secret ballot for “Ham Of The Year” be turned in, from those who didn’t respond to the email request. They will be collectively turned over to our Club President, Kurt, K5KDO, and the winner will be announced at our Annual Christmas Party.
5. Christmas Party Chairman, Charlie, N2PKW, announced the Party will be held again at McElroy’s Restaurant in Ocean Springs, on December 10th at 6:00 P. M. We will have the total lounge area to ourselves. Dan, AE5JG, will be the Master of Ceremonies.
6. The Boy Scout Radio Communication Merit Badge this year will have 18 young men, says Charlie, N2PKW, giving them communication experience on simplex and repeater operation. Sunday, November 3rd is the date.
The Chairman of the Nominating Committee, Rod, KC5LCW, read the names of the Nominees for the Offices of President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary, with each one affirming their desire to run or not to run. Voting will take place during our next Club Meeting.
All Officers Present.
Visitors: Peggy DeSandre.
Sick Call: Toxey Morris, W5TMM – back in the Hospital.
Secretarial Report given by Secretary, Valerie, N9RQX: Motion to Accept by Hank, AE5WU; Seconded by Dave, AF5DQ; Motion Carried.
Treasury Report given by Treasurer, Dan, AE5JG: Motion to Accept by Chuck, N9RRI; Seconded by Marilyn, AF5DP; Motion Carried.
Repeater Committee: Nick, K5BQJ and Charlie, N2PKW.
1. Nick, K5BQJ, spoke of Repeater Coordination and the importance in obtaining tower climbers. Both Two Meter Repeaters, N5OS and W5WA, are Coordinated. Rod, KC5LCW, will maintain his own 70 Centimeter Repeater, allowing the Club to use it. It is also coordinated.
2. Charlie, N2PKW, spoke of meeting with the Gautier City Manager with more meetings scheduled, with a third water tower in consideration. A cost estimate is in progress and a substantial installation is needed.
Hank, AE5WU, requested a Motion to consider reimbursing Nick, K5BQJ, the fees he incurred coordinating the above two Repeaters. Motion Seconded by Chuck, N9RRI; Motion Carried.
VE Activity: Charlie, N2PKW, said that two tests were given and both passed. Amy Ly, KF5YRP – Technician; Chris Skrmetti, K5CGS – General.
Next VE Testing Session will be at the Hamfest.
Next Meeting is scheduled for November 26, 2013.
1. Dan, AE5JG showed off the new Club Shirts, which are for sale. He is taking orders.
2. Dan, AE5JG, proposed a collection to be taken up to help a Vietnam Veteran go see the Wall Memorial in D. C. which will also coincide with a reunion of his old Unit. The collection took place at the close of the Club Meeting.
President Kurt, K5KDO, called for a Motion to Adjourn; Motion Accepted by Dave, AF5DQ; Seconded by Barb, KE5QHZ; Motion Carried, Meeting Adjourned.
Respectfully Submitted by
JCARA, Inc. Club Secretary